Monday 9 January 2017

BA BAGS


Putting the shutters up… it seemed as if British Airways had closed down when we approached it with all our problems and did nothing to help.
Sunday 8 January 2017 07.00 GMT Last modified on Sunday 8 January 2017 07.01 GMT

I booked premium economy return flights with British Airways from Manchester to Mexico City via Heathrow. Unfortunately, due to fog and because a passenger decided not to fly, the Manchester flight was delayed so I missed my flight from Heathrow to Mexico City.

British Airways rebooked me on an Iberia flight to Madrid, but this was also delayed so I had to stay in a hotel in Madrid overnight. I got a lunchtime flight the next day and arrived 24 hours later than originally planned.

The next problem is that my luggage did not arrive at Mexico City and I was without it for six days. The bag was given to me by BA at Mexico City airport for my homeward flight. BA says it is not responsible for the baggage going missing (even though it had generated a lost baggage reference) and that luggage is the responsibility of the last airline you flew with. I spent a lot on essential items while in Mexico.

Finally, I had to travel in economy on the outward flight because Iberia doesn’t have premium economy cabin class. BA has refused to help me.

JM, via email

What a dreadful journey, and very sad that BA washed its hands of you, even though it booked you on to its sister airline – part of the same IAG group.

Delays caused by fog are not covered by compensation rules, while the later delay in Madrid is down to Iberia. Technically, as BA said, the last airline you travel with is responsible for baggage, but given that they are the same company BA could have done more.

We have had many complaints about BA service in recent months. When we asked its press office to intervene in this instance, staff decided that you must send all the details again – to Iberia.

Advertisement

Iberia, as far as we are aware, is now handling this, but you have still not received any compensation. According to back-office staff who have contacted Money after previous appearances in this column, the company is fixated on cost cutting, which is bound to have a negative effect on customer service.

Regarding being charged for premium economy but only getting economy seats, BA says you must take this up with the travel agent that issued the tickets. We are shocked it won’t do more. Some readers say they are already boycotting BA and you can see why.

No comments: