Monday 18 June 2007

Pets

I have not really had many "personal" pets in my life however i have loved many in my time. My first recollection of pets was when dad had pigeons but they were a all eaten by foxes. We also had a budgie called dinky who was green and black and then i was allowed to have a rabbit who i called nibbles. It was only a matter of months before the novelty wore off and i was out doing what young teenagers do at that age. My brother had a lovely puppy called Scamp; he was a shelti (miniature collie) he was black;white;grey and a little bit of collie biege/brown. He was adorable and lived during the day at our house until my brother came in from work with his wife but when they started having a family Scamp became a permanent fixture in our house until he died age 14. I remember dad driving him to the vets as mam and i looked and waved out of the window.He was supposed to be going for an operation but we knew he would not be coming back and it was dad's way of not making it "so final" for us at the time.
They have not had a dog since. However my parents have been a huge part of my dogs life who is pictured here. Megan the lively boxer who is presently snoring at my feet. With my flying job i was going through a phase of driving the 350 miles to their home and flying back and forth to catch my flights. Then i discovered a reliable and honest dog walker who i still use now however my parents still cover long periods of holidays etc. She is so funny and although age 8 now or 56 in human years she is the love of my life. I get very upset at the thought of losing her or having to have her put to sleep. Even no my eyes are filling up. My brother recently made the difficult decision to have there family dog Ziggy put to sleep. They all gathered and held him as the vet came to the house and this was some weeks ago and they are still upset and still will be for a long time. He was a lovely dog who suffered from many illnesses during his 9 years. His back and spine were operated on. He went blind and had special lenses fitted. He had crystals in his baldder which were painful and eventually he could hardly walk. They made the correct decision 100% and i have always said i would never put my Megan through pain and suffering. I would also want her cremated separately so i could keep her ashes. I would not scatter them here in the south as when i move home to the north in the future i would feel i was leaving her behind. She would have to come with me!
She sleeps on our bed nd sometimes i have to get up in the night and move her as i cannot move my legs. She has her own bed with fleecy blanket. A blanket on the large sofa which she loves as she can look out the window at the same time and a towel on the floor by the French doors so she can sit and keep and eye on her garden. She has personalise towels from my parents. Mam embroidered an "M" on her towels. I have some fantastic photographs of her and some great memories which i will continue to treasure as i enjoy Megan....the love of my life.

No comments: