Tuesday 15 June 2010

Bravo nomination for my Indian Detective work!

Congratulations! You have received a BRAVO nomination from Greg Jepp who would like to say 'Thank you' to you and show their appreciation for a job well done.

Fleet: 777
Date: 12Jun2010
Sector: BLR-LHR
Flight No: 118

I wish to highly commend Gary for his keen eye with regard to security. Through his observation and dilligence not only did he prevent the theft of personal property from myself but he also has highlighted a potentially serious security issue in BLR. He is clearly a thoughtful and professional individual and whilst I have personally thanked him I believe that our company also owes at least a vote of thanks to Gary. He has prevented further personal losses to fellow crew members and also potential breaches of security and hence protected flight safety for the airline. The report I have submitted to BA security is cut and pasted below for your consideration. I have concealed the names of the accused parties untill the investigation is complete but security will I am sure speak to you if wished.Thankyou.

Theft From And Interference With Crew Baggage In BLR 12/06/2010
Security reference GL/4/11 June.



This account contains to the best of my recollection events surrounding the above incident and if required can be corroborated by the crew members mentioned within this report.
In BLR we are accompanied on the crew transport by a security guard and someone dressed in what appears to be a hotel uniform but I am informed is actually a “facilitator” from the transport company. Incidentally there is on occasion a third person who I have observed on several occasions whose actual purpose is unclear to me and will be challenged next time.

On boarding the bus crew usually (as do I) deposit hand baggage on the first few rows of seats in order to allow colleagues to be seated comfortably. On this occasion myself, my first officer (SFO Jerry Spence) and steward Gary Marshall-Gleghorn sat either directly behind the guard and transport staff member or in my case one further row back. Our baggage was then clearly visible to us. Jerry and Gary observed the transport employee (or so we believe him to be), subsequently found to be named Xxxxxx, positioning himself very close to Jerry’s briefcase and in fact repositioning it to be directly next to him on his seat. Xxxxx then appeared to rest his arm over said luggage. After a moment’s thought Jerry decided that this seemed a little suspicious and retrieved his briefcase and placed it by his side. In what appears to be a well practiced smokescreen Xxxxxx then stood up, pretended to attend to something in the overhead hat rack and used this as an excuse to reposition himse
lf to be seated next to my briefcase. Steward Gary then watched Xxxxx attempt to cover his right arm from view with a newspaper whilst leaning on my bag in such a way as to cover his activities but which in fact aroused my colleague’s suspicion.

Not having observed this activity up to now I was then appraised of what had happened by SFO Spence and it seemed sensible therefore to remove my bag from Xxxxx’s reach also. On inspection of its’ contents my wallet was found to be missing and it was clearly appropriate to challenge Xxxxx at this time. He seemed remarkably calm and sanguine (as he remained subsequently) as I instructed him to stand and levelled the accusation. Initially all seemed innocent and a simple misunderstanding until Jerry and Gary shone a torch into the area where Xxxxx was seated and purely by very diligent searching discovered my wallet very well secreted and hardly visible stuffed well down the side of the seat.

There is no way this could have occurred accidentally and it was a deliberate attempt to steal and conceal the evidence for later retrieval. CSD Brian Yip who also had a bag in the vicinity could also see that his bag had been rummaged through but fortunately none of the contents removed. The hotel security manager/Transport company airport rep (named Xxxxxxx) /BA station staff and I believe via them the police were all informed and Xxxxx was detained on board the coach whilst arrangements were made.

I believe there have been more than one unproven case of theft on this route which although not known personally by me was reported to me by crew members as having occurred (Gary was aware of this and hence particularly alert) and caused an albeit unofficial warning to be circulated. Of course the implication of interference with crew baggage is not just the theft and removal of property but also the possibility of insertion of an item which could very well pose a serious security risk.

I did not take further part in the subsequent actions as the pre flight preparations needed my attention but have submitted this account to you and copied it to any relevant or involved parties.

I wish to highly commend both SFO Spence and STD Marshall-Gleghorn for both saving me considerable personal irritation but more importantly for their security awareness and diligence in uncovering and highlighting something that could as I have suggested above pose a serious risk to flight safety.

Gregory Jepp (Captain)
705075.
13/June/2010.


The following BA Values have been recognised:
- Safe and Secure
- Professional

Thank you for your contribution, very well done and please keep up the good work.

A copy of this BRAVO nomination will be placed on your operational file.

No comments: