Monday 29 October 2007

Work Injury

These injuries can be a thorn in your side, they could affect promotion if damages are fought for.
My nightmare started on 26th October 2007 on a flight from London to Lagos Nigeria, i was attempting to retrieve a first class duvet bag from the first class wardrobe but it was buried under three passenger bags which were over sized and overweight but the company allows this and turns a blind eye because it is "first class" and they have "a right" due to the extortionate fare they pay for their tickets.
As i attempted to pull the duvet bag out as i was not going to lift the bags or wake up passengers seated nearby, i did position myself correctly, feet flat on floor, knees slightly bent and gave a huge tug to release the bag. However the bag came out and so did something in my back. I was frozen to the spot for what seemed like hours but was only minutes as the pain was horrific and i did not know how i would move for the best comfort.
I managed to get back to the galley area and the pain must have been etched on my face as my colleagues immediately asked if i was ok.
It was towards the end of the flight so there was no more work to do except sit down for landing which was also painful.
I limped through the airport and took a hot bath once i managed to get to my room in the Sheraton, i slept badly as movement during sleep woke me up constantly, the next day i contacted the lady in charge of my flight and she supplied Ibruprofen and i also had a couple of paracetamols in my bag which saw me over until i got home.
A guy on the crew had been ill previously in Lagos and taken to hospital and the hygiene was horrific, a bucket was given to him with a ladle for drinking and flies and insects crawled all over the room.
I did not want to experience this first hand to lived on the painkillers, i have a Chiropractor appointment on 30th October and will seek a solution hopefully from him, well i do hope so as it is costing me £76.00 for a consultation and treatment of about one hour.
I also had some news of a company called O.H.Parsons and Partners who fight companies who's staff have been injured at work and all through the works union who i have already contacted.
I hope to find a solution to this as i cannot survive without my job but they must be held responsible for not monitoring what size and weight of baggage is being allowed onto the aircraft. The company supply large metal frames with a sign " if your bag does not fit in this frame it is too large for the aircraft" however i doubt they ever use them as some items are like suitcases and not wheelie bags.
The result is i am in pain, i can hardly sleep or get out of bed, trying to get up off the sofa is also a struggle and the poor dog is not getting long energetic walks as i cannot do them right now.

No comments: